Tuesday, April 12, 2011

How the idea began

I am lucky to share my life with someone special.  In October 2009 she became my wife.  Anita is someone who spurs me on and keeps me focused.  She knows my strengths and my weaknesses, she also knows diabetes is part of my life and it will never go away.  While we were on our honeymoon travelling through Europe I was reading a book by Dean Karnazes called 50 Marathons in 50 Days.  I was so inspired by Dean and his super endurance.  


I did not know it yet but the marathon bug had been unleashed in me.  I had been running before my wedding and dropped a lot of weight.  I was enjoying running again.  While on our honeymoon I made sure I did at least one long run (usually 2 hrs) in each country we stopped in.  I saw some amazing sights, I run up to the top of a volcano in Santorini, I ran along the Tevere in Rome seeing St. Peters Basilica lit up at night, I ran around the Louvre and Eiffel Tower in Paris, I ran through the town centre in Dublin, London,  Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Spain.  


 I had begun slow and built up the distance gradually.  I was feeling good and physically fit again.  On the plane home I begun working out a weekly training program.  I read something about a 10% rule you should not increase your distance or intensity by more than 10% a week.  This is a great rule to follow if you are diabetic and starting any sort of new exercise program.  Following this rule I continued to develop my fitness and as my fitness improved so did my diabetes management.





Training became tough as I had no goal.  I had lost weight, my fitness was pretty good and I was making my distances with out any trouble.  I decided it was time to try a marathon. I looked online and found the Hunter Valley marathon was a couple of weeks away so I registered and took the plunge. I was going to attempt to become a marathon runner. I had no idea what I was getting into. I had follows the recommendations for starting an exercise program pretty closely however I was about to make many mistakes in doing my first marathon.   



Below is some further information taken from the Diabetes Australia website looking at the process for starting a new exercise program. Click on the link above to visit their website and find out more information about Type 1 Diabetes and exercise.



Starting an Exercise Program

Before commencing a regular exercise program see your doctor for a full medical examination. There are also two things you have to be careful of:

Take it slow: You don’t want to start off too hard because if you are not used to the exercise you will be sore the next day and this will not make the exercise experience an enjoyable one! Always increase the intensity of the exercise very slowly.

Get checked out. If you have any health problems such as diabetes complications like retinopathy, nephropathy, you should talk to your doctor or an accredited exercise physiologist before you start increasing the intensity of your exercise.



Suitable Types of Exercise

Suitable types of exercise depend on the individual. Here are some suggestions for you to discuss with your doctor:

  • Walking 
  • Swimming 
  • Dancing 
  • Water aerobics 
  • Gardening 
  • Golfing 
  • Cycling 
  • Exercise bike 
  • Walking machine. 
Increasing your general physical activity is also helpful, e.g. taking the stairs instead of the lift, getting up to change the TV station instead of using the remote control, housework, and gardening.


Amount of Exercise

Ideally, you should be doing about 30 minutes of exercise every day. If this is not possible, then this time can be divided in 3 x 10 minutes sessions. 



Intensity of Exercise

You do not need to puff to gain the benefits of exercise. Aim for moderate intensity. This means you should still be able to talk as you exercise without becoming breathless. 



Exercise Tips 

  • Drink extra fluid before, during (only if prolonged exercise) and after exercise to avoid dehydration. The fluid may be water or a sweetened drink if extra carbohydrate is required. 250 ml every 15 minutes or one litre of fluid per hour is recommended. 
  • Take care of your feet when exercising. 
  • Wear comfortable and well-fitting shoes. 
  • Always inspect your feet before and after exercise. 
  • Ulcers or other lesions on the feet are a serious danger for people with diabetes. It is important to avoid foot damage especially for middle-aged and elderly people 
  • It is wise to avoid exercise that causes stress to the feet (e.g. running). Exercise which poses minimal weight or stress on the feet is ideal such as riding an exercise bike or brisk walking in good footwear. 
  • Take extra carbohydrate before and during exercise to prevent hypoglycaemia. Extra carbohydrate is often needed after exercise. Discuss adjusting carbohydrate intake with your doctor or dietitian. 
  • Monitor your blood glucose levels before, if possible during (at least initially), and after exercise to assess your requirements for extra food. 
  • It may be necessary to reduce your insulin dose prior to exercise. Insulin adjustment varies with each individual. Discuss appropriate adjustments to suit your exercise schedule with your doctor or Credentialled Diabetes Educator. 
  • Wear sun block when exercising outdoors. 
People with diabetes are generally discouraged from strenuous physical activity if they feel unwell or have ketones present in their blood or urine.
DIABETES AUSTRALIA - http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment